Friday, October 9, 2009

A Single Day Can Change Your Life

Never has the statement, "a single day can change your life" been so true! It was the morning of Thursday, September 17th when my world changed. My husband Makoto and I had been ready to expand our family for sometime but nothing up until then had worked out. In fact, we had just tried for a baby in August and following all the instruction labels on the test boxes, numerous blogs and friendly advice given to me from all the wonderful friends and family that we have been blessed with, I waited 15 days then tested and was given a negative.

Side note: I never realized when I was growing up that it was possible to do all the things that you were taught to do (get good grades, go to college, get married, work on a successful career, have a baby) and then still have things not work out as you have always been told they would. Order and prosperity are what is granted to good girls who do what is expected of them - YEAH RIGHT. Well, reality had different plans - let's just say that I began to hear my biological clock a couple years ago. Having a relationship that totaled nine years dating prior to marriage meant that I was sure of who I was spending the rest of my life with and ready for the future. Makoto (a.k.a Koto) and I were married on March 17, 2007 and our relationship (despite what I thought prior to marriage) has grown so much deeper than I even thought possible. So no surprise we wanted to expand that love beyond ourselves. We did do this at first with the addition of our sweet baby girl Zoie (who I guess I should note is our dog). Zoie is so much more than our dog - she has been our child and is completely spoiled to prove it! But with Zoie now four years old I hoped God would bless us with a Baby!

Flash forward: I woke up just before 8:00 a.m with no real plans for the day. Despite testing a week earlier and getting a negative, I had a desire to use the last test in the box. Each time I had done this I followed a ritual - pee on the stick, cover it up, walk out of the room and wait for the big reveal. This morning I was just covering my bases - more like confirming that I was not pregnant. So I did what I needed to do but this time watched as the first line appeared, as it had so many times before, and then surprise, surprise, the second line appears! SUCCESS - WE ARE HAVING A BABY!

In that moment, so much happiness and fear hit me all at once. I immediately called Koto to find out when he would be home - after what is now eleven years he can pick up on when I have been crying. He demanded to know what was wrong and to have it categorized as good or bad. At the sound of the word good he instantly concluded that we were pregnant! After all, what else could possibly have me so emotional.

Now begins our journey! It is my hope that this blog will serve as a document of this special time in our lives to be shared with friends, family and later to be passed on to my sweet angel baby (be it a boy or girl) so that they know how much they were anticipated and loved before they ever took there first breath in this world. I love you, Baby - this is for you!


4 comments:

  1. Raven - that is so sweet. I love your sweet post...It is beautiful. I am so happy for you and Koto - I can't wait to have our children grow up together. What fun we will have! You deserve this happiness - Enjoy it....it will fly by. Next time this year you will be holding your little one wondering where the time went. I love you and your friendship has gotten me through all of the joys, fears and questions in my pregnancy - I hope I can do the same for you. Love you to pieces...
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious!! You are too sweet Raven! I am so happy for the two of you and your little family! Enjoy these moments as I know you will! Can't wait to hear and see this special journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you !!! Congratulations to you both- we will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers!!
    xoxo Chi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raven, I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! I love your blog. I'm going to add you to my list as well :). I can't wait to follow your journey. I will pray for things to go smoothly for you! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete