Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Baby Is A Genius!

Now I realize that everyone believes their child to be gifted, talented, smart, advanced (you get the idea). The thing is... what kind of parents would we be if we didn't think every move our child made was special? Today, Nolan discovered he could hold his paci (now I realize that this could be a reflex at this age but it was miraculous none the less).

Makoto and I had begun to notice that on occasion he would grasp the paci but as we were preparing dinner tonight he began to fuss and the paci seemed like a good momentary solution. The next thing we know Nolan has the paci grasped and just begins to chill out for what seemed like an eternity! He just sat there taking in all the sights of the living room and of Mommy's face all the while enjoying his paci.

Many people have given me advice on the paci some positive, sighting the benefits of developing a strong sucking reflex and self-soothing technique, and some negative, referencing nipple confusion and the start of bad habits that could follow him well past the toddler age. Let me just say... we LOVE the paci! I find that I can't always help to calm him or soothe him and the paci is a means for him to do that. Thus far (with fingers crossed) we have had no trouble bouncing between sucking on the paci, breastfeeding and yes, on occasion bottle feeding. He seems to get the hang of it all and for now we will thank are lucky stars for this!

Chillin' with my paci!


Showing Mommy and Daddy my paci holding skills!


Still got the hang of holding my paci at bedtime!


Just another cute photo of baby boy sleeping!


My little fuzzy head - this was not too long after a bath - you can always tell because that hair sticks straight up!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the paci! You are already learning that it doesn't really matter what other moms might tell you, ultimately, you have to go with YOUR gut instinct and do what works for you and your little one. I'm so proud of you! And even more proud that you are taking pictures and posting to the blog. YAY!!!!!!!

    I love, love, love the pictures of Nolan. I miss him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, he is already so smart!! C loves her paci! I think they are so cute when they have their little pacis! Can't wait to see him again!
    Love and Prayers,
    MHL

    ReplyDelete